Saturday, July 27, 2019

More bridges

I set off on a field trip, to scout out sketching locations along the river.  I crossed Naito and headed north, towards the Fremont Bridge.  But, along the way, realized that it was a no-go for a sketchcrawl.  Even if I managed to find a spot for coffee and a spot for lunch, there's no transit access (save the miserable once an hour 16).  Some people might drive, but few others would be as willing as me to make the trek on foot.  Plus, it's really, really loud near the bridge.  (The new condos and apartments, with plazas and balconies and promenades?  No one much uses them.)

So I crossed back under the bridge to try the next section of the Willamette Greenway Trail.  This was more promising, with few downstream to the Steel Bridge, and upstream to the Broadway Bridge.






I continued under the Broadway Bridge to the next section of the trail, and stopped when I got to where I had a good view of the Steel Bridge.  And of a great blue heron.


And at this point, I had a problem.  The McCormick Pier Condos have had problems with homeless people on the trail.  They even tried to close the trail a while back, to keep them out.  The city made them reopen it, so they came up with another solution.  Now you're allowed to walk or run along the river, but you can't stop.  A polite security guard came by to tell me to move along.

No comments:

Post a Comment